Thursday, March 4, 2021

Emotion: the 5th Dimension (and other dreams about mysteries beyond my comprehension)

Yesterday I went for a hike. The sun sprinkled rays through mossy branches and everything was green. My thoughts gave me an interesting idea:
The only constant across every human’s spatial experience of existence is time. This is an accomplishment that we reward with the designation of “4th dimension.“

But outside the boundaries of the definition of spatial, every other experience is a constant, each to its own magnitude but all exceeding zero. These are emotions. 

Empathy is just multiple unanimous experiences in distinct spatial moments of 4 dimensions, while simultaneously a wholly shared other-experiential “moment” in a 5th, distinct, dimension. Therefore, empathy is a metric that can be used to measure the units of this 5th dimension.

Imagination is a machine that harnesses combustible amounts of tension in the fifth dimension to power exploration into areas higher than the fourth dimension.  
In Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut proposes that there are aspects to our experience that we are blind to, due to our ability to only perceive in 3 dimensions. The most thought-provoking example is when the aliens in the book explain that there are actually 7 sexes on earth, 5 of which exist in the 4th dimension and are therefore imperceptible to humans. In order to procreate, all 7 sexes must be engaged and therefore play a role. Human's understanding of reproduction isn't entirely incorrect, it's just incomplete. There is a fuller picture beyond their capacity for understanding. 

In Flatland, Edwin Abbott illustrates higher dimensional beings interacting with lower dimensional beings, introducing paradigm-shifting revelations. A cube moves across the plane of a square's existence, which seems like magic because of the square's inability to perceive in more than 2 dimensions. 

It's hard to believe that there aren't dimensions higher than the 4th dimension. Writers like Vonnegut and Abbott have an expanding effect on my imagination, causing me to dream about mysteries beyond my comprehension. 

Causing me to dream about mysteries beyond my comprehension. Wow.

That's what gives me thoughts like the ones above. What if emotions are some higher matter of existence, and we simply move in and out of emotional "spaces" in the 5th dimension? What if empathy was a metric, and the ability to use empathy is the ability to understand a higher dimension? What if imagination was a tool, and the ability to use imagination is the ability to navigate a deeper aspect of existence? 

The world is already beautiful; I don't know why I spend time imagining it as something even more mysterious and wonderful than I can already perceive. But I press on anyway, eyes wide at the idea that your happiness and my happiness are not distinct experiences in time and space, but is instead you and me coexisting in some higher dimensional space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment