Monday, August 4, 2014

24 hour Champagne diet


     What would you give a young man about to embrace a life of poverty so extreme that he's closed his bank account and forsaken all forms of monetary wealth?  
     A prayer card?  A rosary?  Some stationary?  Maybe deodorant?  Certainly something useful that he'll have more than 6 days to use.  Like pretty much anything else besides money.  
     Well, several people disagree with you, and saw fit to generously bestow their wealth upon my wallet.  A week before I enter the monastic setting of the novitiate and I am living with an unprecedented amount of highly disposable income. I didn't even know that money came in increments of $50!  But apparently it does, and we even saw fit to put one of our nation's worst presidents on the bill. 
     So tonight, for one night only, I decided that I would be rich.  I picked up my friend Alex, and we went downtown for a fancy dinner and an evening on the town.  
     We walked into the first restaurant and moments later walked out.  Greenville, I know I said fancy, but that was too fancy.  We settled on a nice place on a terrace over Falls Park, drank luxurious cocktails, and had meals with French names that I couldn't pronounce.  
     Thankfully, the riches couldn't invade our conversation, and we enjoyed one anothers' company like old times.  The conversation danced from future plans to mind palaces to poly-amorous relationships.  Our dialogue yielded delicious new phrases like "the Justin Bieber Revolt of 2014" and insightful anecdotes like "college was the shortest eternity that I have ever lived through."  
     But the best part of my day with Money to Burn wasn't the out-of-the-ordinary situation of sitting on a terrace nursing a well-made drink, but was instead the end of the night when we sat on a rocky ledge above the falls and joked about embarrassing stories and mused on future ones.  
      I'm just not cut out for the Rich Lyfe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment